Wadesboro Fire Department ... Inspections and Permits
Inspections and Permits
An inspection by the Fire Marshal is required for any business in the Town of Wadesboro. At right you'll find links to #1) a Pre-Inspection Checklist so you can be prepared for the Fire Marshal's inspection; #2) a Fire Inspection Permit Application; and #3) WFD Fee Schedule.
FIRE INSPECTIONS AND ENFORCEMENT
Fire Prevention Inspections
Fire prevention inspections are performed throughout the town by the Fire Marshal. View the most common violations found by fire inspectors.
Periodic Fire Code Inspections
Periodic fire code inspections are required by the North Carolina State Fire Prevention Code for all premises, except one and two family dwellings, and are scheduled based on your type of occupancy as defined by the Fire Code. The examples below illustrate the minimum frequency rate of inspections; however, it is not an all inclusive list.
• Assembly Areas - Restaurants, clubs, gyms and places of entertainment, etc.
• Hazardous Materials Facilities - Hazardous materials, flammable liquids and explosives facilities, etc.
• High-Rise Buildings – All use types.
• Institutional Facilities - Hospital, nursing homes, licensed care facilities, jails, etc.
• Residential Locations – Apartments, hotels, motels, dormitories, etc.
Two Year Inspections
• Educational Facilities – Private schools, etc. public schools are inspected every six months.
• Factory / Industrial Facilities – Manufacturing and assembly plants, etc.
Three Year Inspections
• Assembly Areas – With an occupant load less than 100
• Business Locations – Banks, barber & beauty shops, gas stations and self-service, educational occupancies above the 12th grade, print shops, professional service offices (architects, attorneys, dentists, physicians, engineers), etc.
• Mercantile Facilities - Department stores, drug stores, markets, retail or wholesale stores, etc.
• Miscellaneous Facilities – Tanks, silos, greenhouses, etc.
• Religious Facilities - Churches and synagogues
• Storage Facilities – Warehouses, garages, hangers, etc.
Fire Code Violations
If you observe or are concerned about a potential fire code violation, please follow the process listed below:
• To submit a fire code complaint during regular business hours (8 a.m. – 5 p.m.), call 704-694-2167 ext.227.
• If a life-safety hazard exists outside of regular business hours and requires immediate attention, call 704-694-2167 ext. 1
• If a non-life safety hazard exists outside of regular business hours, complete the Citizen Fire Code Complaint/Citation. A fire inspector will investigate the complaint the following business day. Please be as specific as possible with complaint details.
Residential Fire Inspections
The Department of Social Services (DSS) may contact the Fire Marshal’s Office to conduct fire inspections, as required. Occupants should have the correct paperwork from DSS prior to the inspection and have their DSS worker present at the inspection. For more information, call 704-694-2167 ext. 227.
Single family and two family dwellings are not required by the North Carolina Fire Prevention Code to be inspected. However, since a large percentage of fires occur in the home Wadesboro Fire Department offers residential home inspections, upon request. To request a residential inspection, call the Fire Marshal’s Office at 704-694-2167 ext. 227.
Permits are required for various operations and equipment use, examples of required permits include, but are not limited to:
• Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) Licensing Inspections
• Amusement Buildings
• Automatic Fire Extinguishing System
• Carnival & Fairs
• Combustible Dust Producing Operation
• Combustible Fibers
• Compressed Gases
• Covered Mall Buildings
• Cyrogenic Fluids
• Cutting & Welding
• Exhibits & Trade Shows
• Fire Alarm & Detection Systems/Related Equipment
• Fire Pumps & Related Equipment
• Fireworks Display
• Flammable/Combustible Liquids
• Fumigation & Thermal Insecticidal Fogging Hazardous Materials
• Industrial Ovens
• Liquid/Gas Fueled Vehicles or Equipment in Assemblies
• Lumber Yards/Woodworking Plants
• Open Burning
• Open Flames & Candles
• Private Fire Hydrants
• Pyrotechnic Special Effects
• Spraying & Dipping
• Sprinkler Systems & Related Equipment
• Tank Installation or removal
Contact the Wadesboro Fire Marshal’s Office for information about applying for and obtaining permits. Failure to obtain a permit when required constitutes a fine of $100.